Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkin Curry

With all that pumpkin in the house, I decided it was time for a pumpkin curry. I was try to recreate a dish that an Indian friend made for me once. I was close and this was good, but we felt like it was missing a sweet element. We never did decide what we would change next time on this so if any of you Indian food cooks out there have an idea, let me know. Maybe it needs tomatoes... or tamarind... or fenugreek.... or... ?

Pumpkin Curry



Pumpkin Curry

1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp canola oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1" ginger, minced
1 jalepeno, minced
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp tumeric
1 tsp salt (add more to taste at the end)
1 cup water
4 cups pumpkin, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 red baby potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can coconut milk
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped


Add canola oil to a large pot and heat over med-high heat. When the pot is hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook stirring until they start to pop. Add the onions. Cook until the onions brown (about 7-10 minutes) stirring occasionally to keep the spices from burning. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalepeno. Cook for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the spices and salt. Cook another minute.

Add one cup of water, stir to deglaze. Add the vegetables. Add the can of coconut milk. Cover and lower heat and simmer 30 minutes. When the vegetables are starting to get tender, add the chickpeas and cook another 10-15 minutes. Add the cilantro and server over brown rice.






Psst - Kim if you are reading this, I was trying to recreate that dish we had at your house last fall after pumpkin/apple picking. Find out what I am missing, please!!!! :)

8 comments:

  1. wow this looks incredible i can't wait to try your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest the coconut milk for sweetness, but it was already in there! Then I though about ginger, but it was there, too. :-)

    I look forward to finding out what sweet element you determine is missing, because this curry looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try it anyway; even before I figure it out. It was still pretty damn tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for your mystery to be solved. It's frustrating when something does not quite match up to what you're trying to recreate even if it still tastes good. When I'm out at restaurants I have a habit of inquiring about what it is I am tasting to help educate my palate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness, your pumpkin curry looks awesome and sounds perfect for fall. mmmmmmmm! i love the chickpeas and pumpkin combination. the only thing i would add is a tad bit of agave nectar if you're looking for a little sweet. it sounds awesome as it is though! delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i usually add twice that amount of curry powder, plus a good bit of coriander to my curries. really intensifies the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coriander! I knew I was missing something. I wonder if that will be the mysterious missing component.

    ReplyDelete