Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Roasted Broccoli and Sausage Pizza



I was home alone the other night and needed an easy dinner. I really didn't want to cook, didn't want to go get take-out, and didn't want to go to the grocery to rectify the empty fridge. So I poked around and found some week old, floppy broccoli, some vegan Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage, 1/2 cup frozen pizza sauce, and frozen Daiya Italian style vegan cheese. Of course, this means pizza. I was out of flour, but found bread flour which actually worked pretty well for the crust.

For the crust, I used a recipe out of Vegan with a Vengeance. I don't ever follow crust recipes though, just ingredients. Here is what I do. I throw all the dry ingredients into my food processor, then mix the proofed yeast and any other liquids required and drizzle that into the running food processor. Once it comes together, pulse a few more times, then turn out onto floured countertop. Knead a few times, form a ball. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, roll around to oil the ball, cover with plastic wrap and put in a warm place for an hour. Punch down, reform into ball (or 2 balls depending on recipe amts), and rest for about 30 minutes.

For the roasted broccoli, place chopped broccoli on a foiled sheet pan. Toss with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 375F for about 25-30 min; stirring after 15. In the last 5 minutes, add a clove of pressed garlic. I chopped this more after roasting to make it go better on the pizza.
IMG_2378

Here is a pic of the pizza. This picture should teach me not to take food pics while I am on the phone! Every single one was crooked in the same direction that my head was tilted.
IMG_2379

The pizza was just pizza sauce, roasted broccoli, 1 chopped Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage, and about a cup of Daiya vegan cheese.

3 comments:

  1. That pizza looks great! And I love me some roasted broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pizzas. I have to agree that food processors make the crust so much easier.

    ReplyDelete