Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dinner FAIL



I made the recipe for Whole Wheat Pasta with San Marzano tomatoes from the Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen and I did not like it one bit. I had such high hopes that every recipe in this book would be amazing after I made the tortellini. Oh well.

Dinner FAIL

This wound up with so much liquid in the pot that I served it with a slotted spoon. It literally looked like a soup. Also, we didn't like the flavors and the textures in this dish. The onions and fennel were still too crunchy. We hated this so much, that it went in the trash and we had take-out. I know, it looks so pretty! I don't really know how to describe it, but neither of us wanted to eat it.

I think I could have taken all of those ingredients and come out with something much better. Personally I would have sauteed the onion and fennel till soft and starting to brown. Then I'd have added the wine and cooked it down and then added the herbs, tomatoes, and chard. Maybe then it wouldn't have been like soup. I also think that the whole tomatoes had a ton of juice in them which contributed to the problem (maybe use drained, diced tomatoes instead).

I still like the book, but I do not recommend this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Beans, sprouts and pasta - I can live with these forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This summer...is going to be all about pasta and smoothies! :)

    ReplyDelete