Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Unbeef Stew (Rating = BLEAH)

Tonight we made "Unbeef Stew" in the crockpot**. We served this with a big salad. I hated it. It had that metallic undertone that often comes with pre-made vegetable broth. I didn't even take a picture because it was frankly just that bad. Skip this one!

We were supposed to make this yesterday, but I got started later than I was supposed to due to an appointment, and then the tofu was still frozen. I had taken the tofu out of the freezer at 5:30 am and set it on the counter and it was still frozen at 1. Tofu evidently takes a long time to thaw. It was a good thing that I was not able to start this recipe at 1 in the afternoon, thinking that we would eat at 8, because the drying out of the tofu took a lot longer than expected today. The recipe doesn't really give any good indication, but I took my tofu out of the fridge, pressed it for an hour and cut it up, and then started drying it out in the oven. It took at least 2 hours.

** If you've noticed that dinner's are a little plainer than usual this week, it is because I am haing some dental work done and I am not allowed to eat any foods that would stain a white t-shirt: no curry, no tomato sauce, no red wine... etc. It is actually quite limiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment