Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

2 Buddha Bowls for the Price of One

Well there would be two recipes here if I hadn't screwed up one. This week I decided that I wanted Buddha bowls; bowls full of brown rice, kale, tofu, veggies and some sauce. I have no idea where I got the idea that this was the definition of a buddha bowl, but there ya go.

Here is a pic of the bowl, pre-sauced. You can see that it has my buddha bowl definition of ingredients; vegetables (whatever you like really - I used carrots, celery, broccoli, peppers, scallions, snow peas), tofu, kale, brown rice:

IMG_1422.JPG

The first bowl that we made on Monday night, had a ginger soy sauce. This is the sauce I messed up. But, no fear, I'll try it again soon and post a usable sauce recipe for this. I wasn't feeling well at all when I made this, and for some reason I never tasted it until we sat down to eat. Wow was it salty. Hmm, maybe a little less soy sauce next time. 

IMG_1430.JPG

When I made this bowl on Monday, I made enough stir fry veggies, brown rice, stir fried tofu, and sauteed kale to use the other half in Wednesday's bowl. This cut tonight's cooking down to only reheating in the microwave and making a sauce.

Tonight's bowl got a thai coconut curry sauce. It is a very light sauce (not too spicy and not too much curry flavor), and the recipe follows.

IMG_1440.JPG

Here is a pic of the sauce cooking on the stove.

IMG_1433.JPG
Red Coconut Curry Buddha Bowl Sauce

1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp red curry paste, make sure it is vegan
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp paprika
1 14-16 oz can coconut milk (not lite coconut milk)
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and then add the garlic and ginger. Saute a couple of minutes (be careful not to burn it; keep the heat medium to low). Add the curry paste, tomato paste, soy sauce, coriander, cumin, and paprika. Cook for about another 30 seconds to a minute. Stir in the coconut milk and brown sugar and make sure you mix it well. Bring it to a boil and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Serve over stir fried veggies and rice.

 

Oh, And this sauce tasted amazing on the kale!  Here is a link to the original recipe that I based this on (mostly I just looked to see that ingredients they put in theirs and then mixed stuff up till it tasted like I wanted it to).

11 comments:

  1. MMM! That sauce looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, that looks really good. I'm guessing a peanut sauce would also taste great on a Buddha bowl (love that name)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds yummy! i really have been wanting loads of veggies recently, and stir fried is totally the way to go. especially with that sauce. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..those both look delicious! I've really got a soft spot for Buddha Bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement on my new blog, Kristen. It's always a risk you take, moving sites, but I felt like it was time to upgrade. As for your Buddha bowls - sign me up! All of your sauces sound great, but the coconut curry would be a creamy, slightly spicy way to enjoy the rice and veggies. Buddha bowls seem a lot like my normal, on-the-go fair, but these sauces are great suggestions for ways to spice up my usual, less than exciting variations.

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] at Beans & Greens blogged recently about Buddha bowls, and they looked so deelish that I simply HAD to try them [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making this!!!
    The name alone was enough for me to decide that (I just LOVE that name and saying it fills me with happiness)
    That Sauce recipe sounds so utterly amazing I think I will make that too AND a Peanut sauce as well!
    :)

    ReplyDelete