Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Hungry Vegan, Your Personal Vegan Chef (review)

When Eric mentioned The Hungry Vegan in a recent BVA newletter, I hopped right onto the 'internets' to get more info and try it out. Here is the lowdown: The Hungry Vegan is a new nationwide vegan and organic meal delivery service. It offers a new menu each week. The food is shipped overnight or in two days. The shipments provide for about five to seven days of lunches and dinners. Orders should be placed about a week before you want the food. The order has to be in by Sunday of the cooking week.

I've always thought it would be cool to have someone come to my house and leave me food each week, but the costs for that kind of service is way to high for me and being vegan makes it unlikely to find such a personal chef. Having it shipped to my house is the next best thing and the cost is just right. So, I ordered a weeks worth of food for 2. The cost was $140 (for tw0) plus a $14 delivery fee. I ordered on a Friday, the food was made on Tuesday, and then arrived at my house the next Friday.

When the food arrived, we immediately froze anything that was not tofu or potatoes, as they suggested. Then about 1-2 days before we wanted to eat a particular item we'd take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to thaw. Then it was just a quick microwave for dinner. We had plenty of food for dinner for the week - and a lunch leftover or 2 (some servings seemed to be more than a serving size for me). The great thing is that you don't have to eat it all in one week since you are freezing it and then you can pull out dinner when you know you have a busy night coming up.

The food was pretty good. Not as good as I'd make myself but freezing tends do that to food so it was expected. I think my favorite of the week was the pinto beans with sweet potatoes. We also liked the pasta with olives (and I hate olives). Other dishes we got included a rice pilaf, a lentil stir fry, black bean chili, tofu in a green curry sauce, potato turnip soup, roasted beets and apples, and a peanut bread. We also got 2 slices of pumpkin cheesecake, and 2 servings of blueberry cobbler. These sadly got crushed in delivery, but it didn't stop of from scraping the desserts out of the containers and eating them anyway. I mentioned the desserts to the hungry vegan and they will be changing their containers for future deliveries. They had been trying out a recycled environmentally friendly container that just didn't work out.

I definitely plan on ordering from them again. You should give them a try.

x-posted to bostonvegan.org

No comments:

Post a Comment