Pages

Monday, January 8, 2007

A different kind of post: A trip to the grocery

I often hear people say that being vegan is expensive or that they don't know what vegans eat. Well, after travelling for a few days, I really crave good healthy food. So I went to the store tonight after work. Here is what I got, how much I spent, and what I plan to do with it. Normally I make a plan before going to the grocery, but today I had no plan... I just grabbed whatever looked good.

Receipt:
Whole Wheat Fusilli
1 can organic garbanzo beans
1 can diced tomatoes
Silk Soy Creamer
Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal
2 TV dinners - Kashi black bean mango pilaf
1 bag frozen organic strawberries
Annie's Naturals Teriyaki marinade
2 Amy's Beans and Rice Burritos
3 pk Silk Chocolate Soy Milk
1 qt. Pacific Veg broth
1 pkg Tempeh
1 box Extra Firm Tofu
1 bag 365 short grain brown rice
3 yellow onions
1 lime
1 avocado
8 bananas
1 small butternut squash
2 yukon gold potatoes
1 bunch scallions
3 bell peppers (red, yellow, green)
1 bag baby spinach
1 lb. sugar snap peas
1 bunch bok choy
1 bunch chard
1 bunch kale
cremini mushrooms
3 golden beets
1 bunch green leaf lettuce
1 bunch broccoli
1 bunch cauliflower
---------
Total = 78.00

That should feed us for the week. We have some things already in the cupboards and freezer.

Tonight we had Roasted Vegetables (potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, cauliflower, red bell pepper, onion, golden beets) with Teriyaki sauce, basmati brown rice, and steamed kale with a dressing of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, agave nectar, and salt and pepper. The recipe for the roasted vegetables is in the extended entry.

Tomorrow we will probably do a stir fry with snap peas, peppers, bok choy, scallions, garlic, carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms and serve it over brown rice or quinoa. The tempeh will probably go with this... steamed, browned, and then glazed with soy sauce and a little maple syrup.

Later in the week I will throw a potato, onion, carrot, and butternut squash into a crock pot with some lentils, diced tomatoes, and veggie stock and have a stew. The chard will go into the stew.

I was thinking that I would then take some of the remaining vegetables and roast them and make them into a rice/veggie cake, coat it in bread crumbs and brown it in a saute pan. This will go with a spinach salad and some baked tofu.

If there is anything left I will make a pasta dish with some garlic and sauteed veggies.

Normally I would probably have more variety, but I was craving veggies and grains.

No comments:

Post a Comment