Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

52teas.com Natural Flavors are vegan

I emailed to find out if the Buttered Cinnamon Raisin Toast tea at 52teas.com contains dairy and got a response that all of their "natural flavors" are vegan. He is checking into whether the imitation bacon bits used in some of their teas are vegan. I will update if I hear more on that.

Hi,
Can you tell me if flavors like Buttered Cinnamon Raisin Toast contain any dairy (the natural flavors is unclear)? Also, are there any animal products in your imitation bacon bits?
Thanks, Kristin


Kristin,

Thanks for your interest in our products. All of our natural flavors (including—believe it or not—the bacon flavor, are 100% vegan and certified Kosher). I know I was stunned by this at first myself (How can you have natural butter and bacon flavors that are vegan?) but the manufacturer explained to me that these are natural bacon-like and butter-like flavors, so I guess that’s that.

So, you have nothing to fear from the flavors themselves. As far as the bacon bits go, I should be able to answer your question, but unfortunately, I cannot. We grabbed some imitation bacon bits from the grocery store to give the blend a little color, and I don’t have the jars any more. I don’t THINK there were any animal products in them, but I couldn’t tell you with absolute certainty. Next time we re-blend it, I will pay closer attention.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Frank
52teas

3 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when people are so helpful and these things actually work out? :) I'll have to check out these teas. I'm glad to hear they are knowingly vegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon bits in this country are usually vegan! Odd that they aren't in some other countries. Anyway I'd say odds are really good that they'll come back vegan friendly ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I would think that they are vegan. I think you have to go really high-end bacon bits to get any real bacon in them. Usually TVP and liquid smoke.

    Sadly, I did not like the buttered cinnamon raisin toast. I'm gonna see if Mike likes it and if not, that too will be sent to your house. :)

    ReplyDelete